Public Session on the UN World Water Development Report 2019: Leaving no one behind
The MEP Water Group and the World Water Assessment Programme of UNESCO are co-organising a public session on the new UN World Water Development Report: “Leaving no one behind: sustainable water management and governance from a European perspective”. The event will take place on the 3rd of April from 16h30 to 18h30 at the European Parliament in Brussels.
The 2019 edition of the UN World Water Development Report seeks to inform policy and decision-makers, inside and outside the water community, how improved water resources management and access to safe water and sanitation for all is essential for eradicating poverty, building peaceful and prosperous societies, and ensuring that ‘no one is left behind’ on the path towards sustainable development.
Access to safe, affordable and reliable drinking water and sanitation services are basic human rights, as they are indispensable to sustaining healthy livelihoods and maintaining people’s dignity. Sustainable Development Goal 6 is crystal clear: water for all by 2030. By definition, this means leaving no one behind.
Exclusion, discrimination, entrenched power asymmetries, poverty and material inequalities are among the main obstacles to fulfilling the human rights to water and sanitation and achieving the water-related goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The main policy messages and findings from the report will be presented during the public session, followed by a high-level panel discussion.
We have the pleasure to confirm the participation of:
- Paul Rübig, Member of the EPP Group and MEP Water Group
- Louise Haxthausen, UNESCO Representative to European Institutions
- Stefan Uhlenbrook, Coordinator and Director, UNESCO World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP)
- Veronica Manfredi, Director for Quality of Life (Air & Water Quality, Marine Environment, Industrial Emissions & Safety), DG Environment
- Mariëlle van der Zouwen, Manager Knowledge Management Group, KWR Water Cycle Research Institute
- Hans Goossens, CEO, De Watergroep
- Cynthia Bleu-Laine, Africa Programme Manager, Water Lex
- Raluca Anghel, Spokesperson, Permanent Representation of Romania to the European Union
Download the event programme HERE
For more information, please contact Anca Popa
Download the Executive Summary of the report here